Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Nigella says Indulge!

I read this great article about Nigella Lawson's interview with Steven Inskeep on NPR saying how she indulges in some foods every now and then, but the trick to it, is to not feel guilty afterward.

How many times have you had something and completely regretted it? Everytime I pop a bag of popcorn, I get down to the last kernel and feel completely gross and disgusted with myself that I just ate an entire bag; but people go to the movies and finish their medium bags (which is probably close to 2 bags of the microwaved stuff) and walk out as if it is no big deal. So what's the problem? I did promise myself that I wouldn't purchase microwaveable bags anymore and start popping corn from scratch, in a pot over the stove. That way, I can add the amount of butter/salt/whathaveyou in amounts that I can keep track of.

I still get annoyed when people remind me of that time my doctor told me I had "borderline high cholesterol". Yes, I should be eating healthier, but my motto is, you never know if the food you love will be around tomorrow. Heck, you may not even be around tomorrow so why not enjoy life while you can, even if that means eating a bunch of Coconut Cremes from the Doughnut Plant, or a hamburger and toasted marshmallow milkshake from Stand?

I am happy Nigella defends indulgences as much as I do, because 1) she is a food writer/cook herself and 2) she is beautiful. And I agree with her statement that eating buttery, fried or cheesy foods does make it easier (and necessary) to eat veggies and fruits. Sometimes you just gotta balance it all out.

Read the article: here

No comments: