Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Better Being Underground

Better Being Underground is true in some ways. It's a really cute little lunch shop that is literally underground. Parts of their menu changes daily such as the soups, “grain” and salads with rotating sandwiches every now and then. They also sell little plastic cartons of honey-based heart-shaped jellybeans. But that is where the cute ends. Being underground means not seeing the light of day... this shop should really not see the light of day with their poor excuses for a sandwich.

Their 10 or so sandwiches range from 7.50 to 10.99 (or if you go on tues-thurs, you can get the lobster roll for $14.99). I decided on the Madama Cristo which was described as Antibiotic Free Turkey w/Apple & Gouda on Pressed Raisin Sofitel. Nowhere in the description was there 2 tablespoons of spicy Dijon mustard, which is what I had to scrape off on BOTH sides of the sandwich- which 1) was cold despite the very obvious grill marks 2) was a little circle about 5” in diameter 3) came with a “Pickle Guys” pickle, except the “pickle” was about a spear 1/5 of the size of a normal one. But they do throw in a free bag of chips (whoo).

Still, when I order an $8 sandwich from a little shop, I expect one that I can’t eat in 5 bites. I also expect turkey to look more like turkey than ham, but maybe my standards are a little too high.

I don't think I will be going back here any time soon, especially with so many eateries in the neighborhood.

No comments: