Thursday, December 25, 2008

Jook

Rice porridge, congee or what my family lovingly refers to as 'jook' (rhymes with 'hook') is my comfort food of choice. For as long as I can remember, it was a good day if I was eating jook. I think the last time might've been when Ben Harrison and I went to Congee Village over a year and a half ago which is preposterous.
My grandfather definitely made it the best, but luckily my mom makes it the way I like it too. I had some this morning that my mom gave me last night and it was thick and chockful of preserved duck egg and pork just the way I remember it... She also gave me this fried cruller dough (aka "Deep Fried Devils") that my gung gung first introduced to me over a decade ago. You dip it in as you would a piece of baguette in your cream of broccoli soup.

The jook itself isn't pretty, but it's not meant to be pretty, it's meant to warm your insides on a cold Christmas morning... yum.

No comments: