Wednesday, December 3, 2008

This Chicken is Tso-Tso...

It's how I described my dinner tonight.

I made the "Massaman Chicken Curry" (which was delicious) and had some chicken leftover so I decided to make something new and low-maintenance (meaning I wouldn't have go out and get ingredients). I searched and voila! General Tso's Chicken!

Let me just say this... This is not a recipe you should alter yourself.

I half-assed a lot of the measurements, and left out other ingredients.... BUT now i know for the future.

Nevertheless, this "slurry" is really effective. The chicken crisped up nicely and stayed super juicy. The sauce, on the other hand, failed miserably. First off, I didn't have sherry, fresh garlic or red chilis. I also underestimated the power of corn starch and heat. I figured I didn't need the chicken broth and just used water... as soon as it hit the pan. it thickened up instantly into this gooey mess and I couldn't thin it out. I also forgot the sugar so it turned out to be too salty. But I added Hoisin sauce and it was a little bit better.

I made a slammin' pot of brown rice though!

No comments: