Friday, July 3, 2009

Peru Pt I

They say Peru has some of the best food, not just in South America but in the world, so how is it that, to the best of my knowledge, I had never tried Peruvian food prior to visiting Peru? I didn't even know what Peruvian food was.
The morning after getting back from Martha's Vineyard, Tom and I took a 10-day vacation to visit Lima and Cusco, Peru. The highlight of the trip was supposed to be the 3-day hike and exploring Machu Picchu. While the hike was an experience I will never forget, the food was also a huge part our time spent there. Because the exchange rate was in our favor, we ate like a king and queen. Even though our apparel never reflected our "wealth", we visited the nicest restaurants we could find, .
Our first night in Lima, Tom wanted to go to Huaca Pucllana, a beautiful restaurant situated in Miraflores, adjacent to a Pre-Incan Archeological site (which was lit with tiny spotlights). Click on the restaurant's link to take a look.

We ordered Deep Fried Chicken, sautéed in a butter and Pisco Sauce for an appetizer that was absolutely to die for.


I ordered the Ceviche Pucllana: fish, shrimp, octopus and scallops marinated in lemon and yellow chili, served with yucca sticks.


Tom got another kind of ceviche. Each came with 3 different types of corn- corn we had never seen before. We learned that Peru is known for over a thousand varieties of potatoes and corn. Every type we tried was amazing... Who do I talk to about importing them??

1 comment:

Esther said...

Hmmm...I have the white corn in the photo - if you want it, it's yours!