Thursday, November 20, 2008

Reuben's Delicatessen

On our first walk around Montreal, Stephen, Bobby and I found ourselves with a pocketful of Canadian money and hungry stomachs. We were on Rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest, a busy street full of stores and restaurants and had passed by Reuben's and it just so happened to be recommended by my aunt. It is a meatlover's heaven... which is 'funny' because Stephen is a vegetarian but the three of us went inside. It's a large bustling restaurant, totally the epitome of a delicatessen.

Again, lucky for the guys, a very cute hostess was working that day and sat us at a booth by the window. Also lucky, they had a few vegetarian dishes on the menu.

I ordered their French Onion Soup which was really delectable. I remember my mom always ordering it whenever it was offered, and I couldn't understand the appeal of onions in broth. But as I've gotten older and wiser, I know the reason why it, when made right, can be the perfect thing to satiate your hunger. The cheese was gooey, and the crouton was still crispy even submerged in the soup. I got a side order of their Poutine (also recommended by my aunt). When it came out, I fully regretted it. Don't get me wrong, it was delicious, but the french fries were laden with shredded meat, gravy and cheese; I couldn't finish the whole thing. Aside from traveling with a vegetarian. I was also with a lactose-free eater (Practically everything I ordered this past weekend, unconsciously, was for me and me alone). Bobby got the beef teriyaki salad: and Stephen a good-lookin' eggplant, pepper and whathaveyou sandwich. He generously gave me his cole slaw which was a nice balance to the salty and heavy Poutine. Next time I go there, I'm getting the onion rings which come with a side of Jack Daniel's BBQ sauce (Because I heard good things... and come on, how does that not sound amazing to you??)


Bobby and his impressive Beef Teriyaki Salad


Steph's sandwich


my soupe de l'oignon

I'd post a picture of my Poutine, but when Stephen saw it, he said "That looks really disgusting". and he's right...

No comments: