Saturday, April 24, 2010

PB Shake & Bacon Burger

SHAKE. AND. BACON.



A couple of days ago, my friend had sent me this link.
tl;dr: Shake Shack on the UWS had introduced a bacon peanut butter hamburger last week and they were going to offer it again, for $5.50. FOR ONE DAY ONLY.

Naturally, loving exclusivity and food, I decided to make a pilgrimage to the popular burger spot that was, for you non-New Yorkers, originally opened in Madison Sq Park, and up until recently in business only during spring/summer months. Now it's yearlong. They have a webcam on their site to let you know how long the lines are (they get pretty long).

It's pretty much the In-n-Out to California as it is to New York City. However, there are only 3 locations (in NY): Madison Square Park, W 77th and Columbus; and Citi Field (aka new Shea Stadium). Another is in Miami Beach. Each one has its' own menu. I happen to live a few blocks from the one that offered the special burger and I tried to recruit brave souls to join me.

Luckily I have a fellow Foodie friend, J.P. (the one who introduced me to Phở), and a friend who lives 2 stops away from me on the UWS, another J.P.

So today, I had gotten there a quarter to 2, and there was the unsurprisingly long line around the corner. J.P. Squared met me at around 2:15pm. I ordered for them so we could just sit down to eat once they got there.


The burger:


That is not cheese oozing out; that is peanut butter.

I think we had all agreed that it wasn't as bad as we imagined it to be. The peanut butter wasn't overpowering in any way, and it wasn't as messy as the article claimed. Plus, there wasn't lettuce or tomato (though I think lettuce would've helped cut the saltiness). Everything melded together in-between the soft bun so well it really just felt like eating your average burger. I had an Arnold Palmer (1/2 lemonade 1/2 Iced Tea) to go with it. JP1 got another cheeseburger in addition to his PB&Bacon Burger and a Mr Pibb with a splash of Root beer (due to a misunderstanding of his text message), and JP2 got the PB&B with a side of fries & a coke.

But oh no; we were not done yet. I really wanted to try their custard because the special flavor of the day was Pancake and Bacon. Gluttonous? Of course. Delicious? Naturally.


It really did taste like pancakes with bacon. JP1 got a Natural History "Crunch-stellation" (Custard, malt, Valrhona chocolate crunchies, and chocolate toffee). JP2 got a black & white shake.

The we went to Central Park and made fun of the rowers. Great Saturday, guys.

1 comment:

Esther said...

So happy your photos are back!! They are, as usual, so good!!!