Saturday, October 18, 2008

An American Staple

HMM, What could the following ingredients make???


*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
If you guessed Apple Pie, you are correct! Actually, it's the makings of Stephen's Birthday Pie!
(REALLY sorry to my family, who I would not let eat the pie :( I promise you will be showered with pies on Thanksgiving!!)

[The lemon shouldn't have been there. It's used so the apples wouldn't turn brown.]











It looked so good, but did it taste good? I couldn't just dig into his pie... so I ended up making 4 mini ones. I'M SO WEAK.




These are the perfect little portions, and it has more 'crustular surface area'. I'll probably do more of these. Also, I can try different fillings at once.

There are countless recipes out there, which one did I go with? myhomecooking, but tweaked the recipe a little. I did 8 tbsp of butter and 4 shortening, only used 3 (delightfully crunchy) Granny smith apples (granted they were huge, but MORE than enough to fill the crust).

Anyway, it turned out to be a hit, even if Steph didn't actually get to have any.

birthday boy


Things I learned:
This was my first time making a pie! While it came out pretty well, I know what to keep in mind for next time.
-The website was right, make more dough! You really can't have too much. I was stretching it out so much, it kept breaking and sticking.
-Also, be sure to add enough water or it will crumble and crack when rolling it out.
-Work very quickly, in a cool environment. My apartment was a little warm and the butter melted (also do to my hands). Keep chilling the dough if it gets to be too sticky.
-Drain the apples thoroughly or you will end up with sugary water.
-Do not attempt to blind bake the crust if you do not have the proper tools to do so. the sides will slide down, proving it difficult to fill and it'll look like a mess.
-Do not cover the pie with foil when it is still hot. I did it to keep the fruit flies at bay. However, I think the steam might have added moisture back into the crust, which made it lose its flakiness/crispiness overnight. It probably also has to do with the fact that I made it a day ahead of time. It really is best right out of the oven.

BUT... when it's 4 in the morning, and you're inebriated and hungry, it tastes pretty darn good, as demonstrated by Jon, Travis, Bobby and myself. I tried to feed Steph until he said "I want to throw up". Tough crowd.


☛Thanks to my mom for randomly getting me a pastry blender many many months ago, and to Kristina for the big whisk/mixing bowl she got me last Christmas. Also thanks to the chefs at Martha Stewart's kitchen who "tossed out" their old pie tins and measuring spoons this past June. One person's trash is now my treasure.

No comments: