Thursday, October 16, 2008

Hearty Tomato Soup

I normally hate tomato soup. I am just not a fan of eating tomatoes in liquified form if it isn't a Bloody Mary, and CERTAINLY do not serve me gazpacho, because let's face it, that is just watery salsa without the chips.

However, for lunch yesterday, the office was ordering from Columbine yet again, as their food is pretty damn great (so great that I had to call about 20 times to actually get through to someone).

The soups change every day, and they had a hearty tomato soup as one of their choices. For whatever reason, I decided to get that and ½ special sandwich (which consisted of kalamata olives, feta, chickpeas and probably arugla or something... point is, it's really not worth writing about.)

But the soup! So simple, so delicious

-Tomato Soup
-Rice
-Peas & Carrots
-Onion

and here's the kicker...

-Pancetta!!

It was so flavorful and, like the name suggests, HEARTY. They changed the way I viewed tomato soup forever.

I just bought Pacific Natural Food's Organic Creamy Tomato Soup with 50% less sodium than the regular box. Who wants to give me some pancetta?? I will whip up a pot.

**EDIT** I couldn't help it. I made a serving except with Canadian Bacon. Not quite as rich, but still pretty tasty. In a small saucepan, I sauteed some onions, peas, diced carrots, diced Canadian bacon and brown rice. Looking at it, I realized I just made fried rice (minus the scrambled egg, soy sauce and scallions). But add in the tomato soup and you totally change the look and taste. I guess that's what recipes are.


*******
Bonus: Virgin Bloody Mary

-Tomato Juice
-Horseradish
-Worcester Sauce
-Tabasco Sauce (or Red Devil)
-salt & pepper
-celery

Adjust the measurements to your liking. Mix with a stalk of celery and you've got yourself a nice little drink. Add vodka to be a grownup.