Saturday, October 11, 2008

Chicken with Coconut & Peanut "Curry"

I got dinner with my mom several days ago at Pongsri.
She got this delicious Pra Ram Long Song dish, and gave me the leftovers. It was so good I wanted to recreate it.

and I sorta did!

bowl is from CB2

*Please note that I didn't actually measure out teaspoons/tablespoons, but since people out there freak out about eyeing ingredients, I added measurements as close as to what I think I used....

"Curry"- I used quotations because this is a very simplified version.
1 can Coconut Milk
3 tablespoons peanut butter (2 tbsp Chunky, 1 tbsp Creamy, all-natural)
2 chicken breast fillets, sliced then cut into thirds
4 small Yukon potatoes, 1/8ed
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp reduced-sodium soysauce
1 tbsp dark brown sugar
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (or to your tasting)
dash of hot chili sauce (i used sriracha)

-brown rice

-green beans, washed & ends trimmed
1 tsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
sesame seeds

mungbean sprouts

*******
Make brown rice.

To make the sauce...
I poured a can of coconut milk in a medium saucepan over a medium flame. I stirred in the peanut butter, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, chili paste/sauce and crushed red pepper flakes. Add potatoes.

In a separate pan, lightly sauté chicken in a little canola oil and add to sauce. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.

In the same chicken pan, add a little canola oil and string beans. Now, I added the sesame seeds, but they like to fly everywhere when they're heated so add with caution. I like my string beans still crunchy, but you may want to blanch them first.
Definitely blanch them first in a little water! Drain out the water and add some soy sauce so it caramelizes with the beans. at the very last minute, add sesame seeds. toss and serve.

Check the potatoes, they should be fork-tender and the sauce should be creamy, bubbly and thick.

Pour "curry" over rice, add stringbeans and mungbean sprouts and voilà:


You will have a lot of sauce leftover, so make lots of rice and share with a friend :)

No comments: