Monday, November 17, 2008

Doughnut Plant

Everything you knew about doughnuts before this post was a lie, unless of course, you have had a delectable yeast doughnut from the Doughnut Plant. I know there are some pretty loyal Krispy Kreme fans out there, or dare I say, Dunkin Donuts, but these little beauts are just about the best and worst thing you could down with a cup of joe or tea. I haven't looked at the nutritional facts, and I want to keep it that way.
It all started on one Halloween day, 2008, when 2 large white boxes of doughnuts were brought into the office by Tim, a very generous coworker who would change my life forever.




The wonderful thing about the coconut creme is that the filling isn't very sweet at all. In fact it's very light and very reminiscent of the filling in a Beard Papa cream puff. The con to this donut is that it is nearly impossible to eat one on the street without making a huge mess. I tried to rip off a piece but they are so tender and chewy and glaze got all over my hands and face. I'm sure I looked pretty ridiculous (and maybe homeless) carrying around my huge backpacker backpack, balancing a totebag all while scoffing down a donut.

I really don't want to overhype these because I would feel awful if you trekked in the deep dark depths of the lower east side/chinatown for nothing. I actually walked about 15 minutes from the Canal St Station (The Essex/Delancey is closer) to get them for a bus ride up to New Paltz last Thursday. However, I am confident that you will find at least one doughnut here to your liking. I personally like the coconut creme and jelly-filled square (both pictured). Also, the plain glazed (Stephen's doughnut of choice) is just as satisfying.

One will run you about $2.75- trust me, it's worth every bite.

1 comment:

Esther said...

I don't like doughnuts but I WANT these!!!