Monday, November 3, 2008

A Nice Little Sunday

What's the best way to spend a Sunday? Apparently, meeting up with some good friends for Brunch and scouring the East Village, West Village and Lower East Side for cafes, restaurants and bars over the course of 10 hours...

Saela called me up and invited me out to brunch at Life Cafe (On 10th St & Ave B) with Mike M. and Mike R. I originally wasn't going to eat, but I have zero willpower, so I ordered French Toast. I was REALLY sad to see they took their Kentucky Hot Brown off their Brunch Menu as it was the heartiest and least-healthy dish.


I'm pretty sure someone had a crush on me (or knew of my blog?) because my plate was the only one decorated all pretty-like! However, I did have 3 complaints.
1) it was cold-ish.
2) the promised cinnamon cream was non-existent
3) I had to get up to ask for maple syrup.

That aside, it was quite good and our waiter, Jake, was entertaining ;)

Also good, but not as pretty? Mike R's breakfast burrito and tempeh bacon.


Saela, Mike R. an I also hit up Dante's Cafe, (MacDougal between Bleecker and Houston St) to get some cappucinos. Mike got profiteroles. Service is notoriously bad, and the atmosphere may make you lethargic. But one thing is for sure... they know how to make coffee and desserts (including gelato!)

Cream Puffs with a chocolate mousse filling, smothered in a light white glaze (?) that almost resembles marshmallow fluff.

Also got seasoned french fries (that come in a cone!) at Mason Dixon (Essex between Stanton and Rivington). Unfortunately we did not try to Mechanical Bull. Next time, for sure.


Then got pizza at Two Boots (Ave A and 3rd St).

Normally I get a slice of the Tony Clifton which consists of onions, mushrooms with red pepper pesto:

(Photo from Seamless Web)
However, I decided to try something new and got The Earth Mother: vegan pizza with spinach, onions, peppers, artichokes and mushrooms).

(Photo from flickr)

All in all, a nice little Sunday.


***
Other food/drink establishments visited:
-A cute little Cafe, (albeit a little too quiet aka "intellectual" for our taste) on Ave A.
-Think Coffee on Mercer St. (too crowded)
-Esperanto Cafe on MacDougal (too crowded)
-Puck Fair on Lafayette and Houston (nice bar, but no one interesting to talk to on a Sunday night)
-Eastern Bloc (a gay bar clearly anti-straight people)
-Hi-Life Bar (clearly anti-fun! Do NOT go to this bar if you hate obnoxious bartenders)

No comments: