Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mike's Birthday Lunch/Dinner - Basta Pasta & Soju City

I'm 2 months overdue, but I definitely wanted to write about my friend/former coworker's birthday in November. For lunch, the office took him out to Basta Pasta- an Asian infused Italian restaurant on 17th St btwn 5th and 6th Ave. Completely run by Asian people, you have a hard time telling if you're there for Udon or Spaghetti.

I believe I ordered the Spaghetti con Uova di Pesce -- Spaghetti with tobiko (flying fish roe) and Shiso. I thought I'd try something I normally wouldn't find anywhere else.




It was good albeit a little too fishy for even me. It was reminiscent of a linguini with clam sauce. But it had a very interesting texture with the tobiko.

My coworker asked the waitress how large the Ceasar Salad was and she said a head of Romaine Lettuce. Little did we know she actually meant a head of Romaine Lettuce!


Oh then there was this...


What is she doing you ask? She is scooping out Spaghetti con Prosciutto e Parmigiano (Spaghetti with Parmigiano-Reggiano and Parma Prosciutto served in half a wheel of Parmesan cheese at the table). AMAZING.

The asparagus appetizer (with a golden parmesan crust) was delicious and highly recommended.

The atmosphere is nice, odd chachkas, art and such on the wall.


For dinner that night, Mike, our friends and I went to Soju City, a Korean restaurant on St Mark's Place & 2nd Ave. One word: BIBIMBAP!



This, plus little appetizers (including kimchi) and dumplings are enough to bring me back again and again.

No comments: