Friday, January 29, 2010

Olives

For whatever reason, Restaurant Week gets people in a fury. I guess the idea of dining in a what would otherwise be an expensive and barely affordable restaurant for only $35 is pretty enticing. I've been to a couple of places and haven't really been disappointed (except by Butter). I wanted to try a classic like the Russian Tea Room but no one got back to me in time. However my dear mum suggested Todd English's Olives at the Union Sq W hotel.
I would always pass by this place on my way to the SVA dorms back in college and always said I'd go here when I made it big. While I haven't made it "big" per se, I found myself being led to a table and to a spectacular prix-fixe menu.

That's another thing, Restaurant Week may sound like a good deal, but their menus and service usually aren't as good as a normal dining experience. However, this one seemed pretty delicious:

Appetizers
Charred Octopus Flatbread
almond romesco, preserved lemon, toasted garlic

Shaved Brussels Sprout Salad
chestnut polenta, truffle vinaigrette, parmesan

Cured Duck Proscuitto
rye panzanella, celery, mustard dressing

Entrée
Veal Short Ribs
parmesan grits, honey glazed carrots

Pan Roasted Salmon
chorizo basmati, raisins , curry cream

Wild Mushroom Tagliatelle
whipped ricotta, thyme, parmesan

Dessert
Apple Semifreddo
creme friache custard, cinnamon apple compote, olive oil-walnut granola

Hazelnut Semifreddo
crispy hazelnut mousse, coffee cream, cocoa puffs

They brought out an impressive bread basket: foccacia, and crispy seasoned flatbread with green and black olive tapenade.
My mom got the duck, veal (delicious), and hazelnut semifreddo. I got the grilled octopus flatbread. Ok, so when they said "Flatbread", i pictured a 3"x5" piece of bread or something. But no; it was like a 10"x20" pizza brought out on a huge wooden board. Why do I always order THAT dish? (see The Modern) Honestly, I don't see what the big deal was. The octopus was good, but it got lost with the bread and sauce and everything.
My salmon was cooked perfectly and I liked the touch of golden raisins to an otherwise salty dish, but I wish I had gotten the veal. The flavor was so intoxicating and the grits were satisfying.

The apple semifreddo was a perfect way to end the meal. I wish I could've gotten a cappucino but I would've regretted it as caffeine hits me pretty hard. But they did serve us two mini cupcakes at the end. All in all, a wonderful dinner with a wonderful mom.

No comments: