Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Vanderbilt

Tom and I have walked up and down the streets of his neighborhood of Prospect Heights many times. On one of our walks, we saw a restaurant that was being built called The Vanderbilt. Aptly named, it is on Vanderbilt Ave and Bergen, and it has been written up with rave reviews from nearly every local New York City publication.

After passing by several times, seeing if it had opened yet, we finally got dinner there in the beginning of December. Armed with a Michelin-starred chef, all of the dishes on the menu are small, and moderately priced. Like a tapas bar, a table is meant to order many dishes to share. Tom and I decided on Blistered Shishito peppers for an appetizer. I think these could have been really good had we not gotten insanely spicy peppers. We are known to handle our spicy foods rather well, but these were burning for some reason. Sprinkled with pimenton salt and lemon juice, the peppers were conquered not without a fight. This was about the time I wished my water glass was just a tad bit larger. Incidentally, these peppers were also served at Phil's New Years Party but we were more careful with those.

I also got Crispy Pork Belly with lentils du puy and Tom ordered the butternut squash soup. The pork belly was so tender, perfectly-seasoned, and super fatty with some parts super crispy. I could've eaten 3 portions of this. The soup was velvety, creamy and can certainly warm you up on a cold winter's evening.

For the main course, I ordered the Hangar Steak, again cooked perfectly with a side of pont neuf potatoes and romaine. I think Tom got the Grilled Pork Loin or perhaps one of the specials.

For dessert, we shared Warm Spiced Doughnuts pistachio ice cream, brandied cherries, apricot orange blossom coulis.

A perfect dinner.

I apologize for the poor quality of photos. The lighting was dim and until I actually get a nice DSLR, this point and shoot will have to do.




1. Shishito peppers, afire
2. Crispy Pork Belly, melt in your mouth
3. Hangar Steak, medium rare
4. Doughnuts.

No comments: