Saturday, March 28, 2009

Big Daddy's Diner / City Crab & Seafood Company

The first time I heard about City Crab & Seafood Company was during my Sophomore year of college when a friend of mine was a hostess/waitress there. However, I always thought it was too 'upscale' for a poor college student like myself and never thought to dine there.
Flash forward a couple of years... I went to their neighbor's restaurant, Big Daddy's Diner (& incidentally another place my friend waitressed) with Stephen during Senior year and revisited a couple of times this past summer with my friend James. We signed up for their "Insiders Club" since they promise a free meal on your birthday. Because of this, we ended up on their mailing list. I took advantage of some of their deals, like when they had "Hot Dog Week" to celebrate the namesake's 124th birthday. James and I went there to claim the "Buy one, get one free" special. We both ordered "The Texas Tommy" which is a hot dog covered in melted cheddar cheese, bacon and spicy ketchup, with tater tots on the side.

It was a disaster. Don't get me wrong, the service was great, as was the first bite of the hot dog, but it all went downhill after the second and third. I get heartburn just recalling it. We didn't even finish our dinner but were so full after that meal; stumbling out of the restaurant, not knowing we'd still feel the effects a day or two after. Lesson learned... be wary of fancy souped-up hot dogs; stay classic and simple with Gray's Papaya or the backyard grill. But if you are going to load up, a la Los Angeles' "Pink's Hot Dogs", go easy on the toppings. (Just kidding. If you ever get to visit Pink's, I recommend the Martha Stewart: 10" Stretch Dog, relish, onions, bacon, chopped tomatoes, sauerkraut & sour cream... I'll spare you the photo)

Now, getting back on topic, I used to receive an email from Big Daddy's once a week or so, but I suppose things are getting a little rough financially because in the past two months they have been informing me of a promotion every few days. In addition to their specials, they have teamed up with City Crab who has also been sending me an emails. My mom and I decided to take them up on their Buy 1 Entree, Get 1 Free for a Weekend Brunch.

We went on a Saturday morning. City Crab has a very calming sophisticated atmosphere (unlike Big Daddy's which is bright, flashy, youthful and fun); a two-man jazz band played on the floor (see first photo) and we were seated upstairs even though it was basically empty downstairs. Nevertheless, we were happy. It was a beautiful day and who doesn't love Brunch? I decided on Eggs DelMarVa (Eggs Benedict but with crab cakes instead of Canadian bacon) and my mom got the Chef's Omelette (lobster, spinach and manchego cheese). Made very well; my eggs were poached perfectly, huge chunks of crab in every bite... but it was really fishy and I was hungover from the night before.
Another lesson learned: Never consume seafood to nurse a tequila and whiskey hangover.

All in all, a pleasant experience. If you live in Manhattan, please visit either or both of these establishments. They are vastly different in styles, ambiance and food but still quality service and eatin'. Plus, they are practically giving away food.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

if you ever find yourself in boston or even groton ct, check out spikes http://www.spikesjunkyarddogs.com/ best hotdogs ever.