Thursday, March 26, 2009

Meet Me at the Bar

The chocolate bar, that is.

I am a sucker for really good chocolate. While I won't object to a Hershey's kiss, let's get real here... It would be like saying give me a US-made Cadbury bar over a British-made Cadbury. There is a noticeable difference and don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

My cocoa bean-to-bar of choice is Green & Blacks. In my opinion, it's a couple of steps above Ghiradelli, and a few below Sharffen-Berger or Cote d'Or. I first came across this delight in a Sainsbury's or Tesco's in London. I had never seen one before and thought it was a specialty to the United Kingdon. However, to my surprise and delight upon arriving back in the states, I see these beauts in my local store (Fairway, to be exact). While I haven't found the bar I cherished so dearly across the pond (Dark Chocolate with Almond), I took kindly to Green & Black's Milk Chocolate with Almonds as a substitute. I may even like it more than Godiva.

Actually, I've been more a milk chocolate girl lately after two decades of loving the semi-sweet. They do say your taste buds change every seven years, so it is possible I am going through chocolate puberty.

But I really didn't write this post to rave about G&B's, though you should check out their site and find your "perfect match". I am apparently "Ginger" (blech!) and my perfect match is Dark 85% with an apt description so maybe I do like a little bitter taste after all...

"You are Ginger
You’re full of crazy zest yet you’re down-to-earth. You would wear your best shoes even when you walk to work every day. Your friends find your outlook refreshing. A bit quirky but always charming nonetheless. Your mantra: "Ruin a pair of shoes, save the earth.

Your match: Dark 85%
Is your match intense, perhaps an artist or writer? This person definitely has a deep, dark side but is also incredibly irresistible and a great partner. He or she always looks chic and elegant. Your match appreciates inner beauty and loves discovering the hidden intellectual. Mantra: "Green never goes out of style."


Okay, so the real inspiration behind this post is the chocolate bar Lela got me for my birthday. She said Mast Brothers was one of her favorites. They are local Chocolatiers hailing from Williamsburg, Brooklyn. They are living the dream... my dream.




After admiring the packaging for so long, I finally decided to break into it. I felt like Charlie Bucket opening the chocolate bar he got for his birthday... running my fingers over the wrapper feeling the grain and texture of the paper, slowly unfolding the corner, anticipating the treat underneath the foil...and finding a glint of gold.
Well I share with you my unveiling:



Aside from the apparent cat hair found on the chocolate that can be seen in one of the photos (ah, Brooklyn!), I must say this is a mighty fine chocolate bar. Like almonds or bacon, the Fleur de Sel ("flower of salt") adds a lovely touch and balance to the chocolate. Also, who doesn't like to say "Fleur de Sel"??

My first Mast Brothers bar was a success and I seriously only ate what I broke off (see picture 1) as it is very rich. I will trek to Billyburg to try other flavors.

No comments: